Who can use this feature?
- Global admins or users with advanced permissions
- Available on all plans
Segments are a highly flexible query engine that drives analysis, process, health, and focus throughout Totango. Use segments to create lists or groups of accounts, users, and more.
Create a new segment
Create a segment from the main search bar. You can also create new segments from any SuccessBLOC (Segments tab), the quick actions menu from the My Portfolio or account profile views, within the Global SuccessBLOC, or by copying an existing segment.
- Click the down arrow inside the search bar at the top of Totango.
- From the segment window, choose the type of data you would like to segment on.
The primary types of data in Totango are accounts and users, but you can also segment on touchpoints, collections, opportunities (if enabled), and other objects allowed by your admin. Refer to Totango Users segments for data related to team member activity within Totango.
- Depending on the selected object, a new Untitled segment opens.
Suggested filters allow you to filter on the provided search terms in one click. For example, account segments may have Health and Contract Value as suggested filters.
- Add filters to refine the list of results. (See below for more details.) Within the filter window, start typing the data point you'd like to filter by. Or click within the available dimensions to browse available data points.
- When you click the data point you want to use, a new window opens to choose the filter conditions. Values and options vary, depending on the type. Click Apply Filter when ready.
- The list of matching results appears. Continue adding filters and groups as needed. (See below for more details.)
- From the resulting data set, click Edit Columns to further refine the data shown the results.
For user and collection segments, you can include account attributes as additional columns!
- Click inside the segment name to rename and choose more properties.
- Location: Save within a SuccessBLOC or personal folder (My Folder) within the My Portfolio view.
- Privacy: Choose Public if you want the segment to visible to your teams when searching or using a shared location, such as a published SuccessBLOC. Segments saved to your personal folder are always private.
- Click Save.
Filter results by account ownership or "group by"
Segment filters allow you to temporarily view the data according to account ownership:
- All accounts on the team
- Accounts where you are listed as the account assignment role
- Other named user on the team based on account assignment role
You can also group results based on an available attribute:
Save current view as default
Saving current view as default allows you to configure default settings anytime you revisit the segment again. If the segment is public and saved within a SuccessBLOC, other viewers of the segment will also experience the default settings.
To save a segment default view, click the Ellipses (...) in the upper, right corner and click Save Current View as Default View.
Settings that save as part of the default view include:
- List tab
- My Accounts / All Accounts / Any specific user selection
- Grouped By
- Sorted By
- Column Widths
- Progress View
- Status Attribute
- Collapse All / Expand All
- Timeline View
- Flow Selection
- Work View
- Open / Completed Tasks or Both
- Group By
Apply multiple filters and groups to segments
This feature is in public beta.
Apply multiple filters using logical operators (AND/OR) and nested filter groups within segments (account, user, collection, Totango users), SuccessPlays, campaigns, portfolio scope, teams (account set and team members), and health profiles.
Add Filter: Choose AND or OR between filters. All filters outside of a group must be the same (i.e., either all OR or all AND).
Add Group: Nest different levels of filters. All filters within the same group must be the same (i.e., either all OR or all AND). You can apply different operators between groups.
You can create up to 3 levels of nesting in one group.
Multiple filter values
Depending on the filter chosen, you may additionally be able to select multiple values per filter. When multiple values are chosen within a single filter, Totango accepts any of the values to make the condition true (OR).
Choose filter criteria and segment columns
Depending on the data object, filters are available for attributes and other reserved Totango data points. You can also add data points as columns to further refine your data set.
You can filter on:
- Account attributes (shown in green)
- User attributes (shown in purple)
- Custom collections (account segments only)
- User actions
- Other reserved data points
See a full list of all segmentation data points for filters and columns.
Special considerations apply for the following filter categories:
For Account, User, and Opportunity objects, touchpoint filters appear within the list of dimensions:
For segments that start from the Touchpoint object, touchpoint filters appear in their own category.
Example: Filtering by "touchpoint create date in the last 7 days" returns all touchpoints within the specified time frame, looking back in the first hour of the service timezone until the end of the day.
For custom collections, the collection name appears within the list of dimensions. Custom collection filters are available for the Account object only.
If you want to use collection data points as triggers on campaigns or SuccessPlays, consider creating an Account segment that uses collection filters. Then use the "Is in segment" condition to apply to your target list. Use caution when using multiple collection filters.
Is in segment / is not in segment filters
The "Is in segment" or "Is not in segment" filter is useful for isolating data sets from another segment. These filters are available for Account and User objects.
See limitations for using Is in / Is not in segment filters when copying SuccessBLOCs. Prior to advanced query logic for AND/OR operators and nested filter groups, the "Is in segment" filter was commonly used as a workaround to create "OR" logic between filters, but it required multiple segments.
Question: How can I see account level data in my user and collection segments?
Answer: For user and collection segments, you can include account attributes as additional columns! This flexibility allows you to view account data within one segment view.
You can also add account columns automatically whenever you add account-level filters. Please note that there is no ability sort columns for account attributes added to user and collection segments.
Question: Can you search a segment that is in an unpublished SuccessBLOC?
Answer: Only admins, SuccessBLOC owners, and collaborators can search segments in unpublished BLOCs.