Who can use this feature?
- Refer to user licenses for limitations
- Global admins and users with advanced permissions can apply bulk edits
- Available on all plans
Segment triggers allow you to set up automated actions for account and user segments. Available segment trigger actions include the following for "on entry" (meets the criteria) or "on exit" (no longer meets the criteria):
- Account segments: Add tags, remove tags, or send email
- User segments: Add tags or remove tags
Tags identify an account or user with a custom label. Learn more.
What you need to know
- When creating an automated tag, be sure to baseline tags for any accounts or users who were part of the segment, prior to applying triggers.
- If applying tags, a new tag must be applied to at least one record before a segment trigger will take effect.
- Please allow up to 10 minutes for tags to fully apply on your account/user base.
- You can create "sticky tags" that remain on the account/user even after the condition no longer applies. For example you can tag a user when they first particular feature in your app, without removing it. To do that, simply do not add the "On Exit" trigger condition.
- For account segments, you can send to any address (does not have to be a Totango user), but global admins can optionally limit sharing to only certain domains.
Add a segment trigger
You can add a segment trigger to any new or existing account or user segment. For quick reference, we recommend you save all segments with automatic triggers under an "Automation" folder.
- At the top of the segment, click Show Triggers.
- From the Triggers pane, click Add now.
- In the Triggers window, make your selections for any of the On Entry and On Exit options:
Add or remove tags: Start typing to select an existing tag.
For example, if you have a user segment with filter criteria: "Last activity was more than 30 days ago," add an inactive-user tag when a user enters the segment. Remove the inactive-user tag when the user leaves the segment.
If you create a new tag from this window, you must manually apply the tag to at least one user or account before the trigger takes effect.
- Send email: Available for account segments. Start typing an email address and press Enter.
- Add or remove tags: Start typing to select an existing tag.
- Click Save to confirm.
- Click to activate the trigger.
Totango saves the initial state of the segment only when the trigger runs for the first time, so if an account enters the segment within the first hour, there will be no trigger.
Apply or remove tags in bulk (baseline)
Bulk tag assignment requires advanced permissions.
- Open a segment or create a new one.
- Select all records in the segment using the check box next to the Name column.
- Click Add Tags.
- In the Add Tags drop-down, start typing to select a tag, or keep typing and press enter to create a new tag.
- Click Add Tags to apply the tag to the selected records.