Who can use this feature?
Net Promoter Score (NPS) is the industry standard for measuring customer loyalty of your brand and predicting growth. The campaign designer includes an NPS component to collect and measure NPS surveys.
NPS asks recipient's to rate how likely they are to recommend a product, service, or company to a friend using an 11-point scale:
- Promoter: Gives a score of 9 or 10
- Passive: Gives a score of 7 or 8
- Detractor: Gives a score of 0 to 6
From all survey responses, total NPS is calculated using the following formula:
NPS = % of Promoters - % of Detractors
NPS scores range from -100 to 100. Industry averages vary by industry.
Many companies rely on NPS to run Voice of the Customer (VOC) programs. We recommend starting with the Run VOC Programs SuccessBLOC to use starter campaigns for sending NPS and conducting follow-up.
Configure NPS campaign design
An NPS campaign requires you to define an NPS attribute. Global admins can create new NPS attribute types in Data Modeler. You can also create a new NPS attribute type from within the campaign designer.
- Create a new campaign using an NPS template (feedback category), or edit an NPS campaign from your SuccessBLOC.
- From campaign settings, click on the campaign body to open the campaign designer.
- Within the campaign designer, add a new NPS component, or click on the component if it already exists.
- From the Design tab, choose the NPS survey metric (attribute), which will store the recipient's survey response.
- If you need to create a new NPS attribute type, click +Create New.
- Choose a display name and dimension.
- Click Save.
- Additional NPS attributes are automatically included:
- [Attribute Name] Response Date: Stores date of response
- [Attribute Name] Comment: Stores the recipient's optional comment
- Configure the additional details for the survey flow to provide context for the survey flow, which can support multiple languages.
- Comment question in NPS destination page
- Confirmation message
- Pre text for selected score
- Change score's text link
- Submit button text
- Click Save.
Configure NPS campaign settings
After configuring campaign design, adjust the campaign settings for subject and sender(s), targets, schedule, and goal. Consider the following best practices:
- Keep your target list to a size that corresponds with effort your team is capable of for handling feedback, factoring in an average response rate of 10-25%. If there are too many users, consider sending it to only a set of users per month or quarter so you are not inundated with all the feedback at once.
- If you want to send different campaigns to different groups, use the same NPS attribute for all the campaigns ensures that you can compute the overall NPS across the responses.
- Avoid sending loyalty surveys to users who have recently been introduced to your brand, as they are most likely going to ignore the survey
- Set the goal criteria to the NPS attribute of the campaign (any value) to consider the campaign successful if a recipient completes the survey.
NPS campaign flow
After activating an NPS campaign, the user flow is as follows:
- User clicks a rating from within the email.
- A new browser tab opens with a summary of response and a comment box.
- Upon submit, a thank you page appears.
View NPS responses
NPS responses are viewable in several areas within Totango.
Campaign performance metrics
Engagement metrics include a summary of the selected NPS metric.
If the account layout is configured to display NPS responses, you can view results for one or more survey, filtered by time period.
Any segment that includes a filter criteria for the selected NPS attribute shows score in the segment summary.
Add a KPI with a numeric visual type that reference the NPS attribute as the metric. The selected segment must be a user segment. Aggregation is count or NPS.
Load external NPS data into Totango
If you are already running your NPS campaign outside Totango, you can bring your raw NPS user data into Totango, and Totango will compute the overall NPS.
Importing data is available to global admins or users with advanced permissions to Customer Data Hub.