Who can use this feature?
- Refer to user licenses for limitations
- Available on all plans
Tasks indicate work that needs to be done on an account. Use tasks to assign to-dos to yourself or other teammates, track timely completion, and add follow-up actions as needed.
Create a manual task (to-do)
Create a task from the My Portfolio page or from the account profile directly. When creating it from My Portfolio, you can use the search feature to find the account to add the task. When adding it from the account profile, the account name will populate automatically.
- From the Quick Actions (+) bar, click Add Task.
You can also click the Ellipses from the Notifications tab in My Portfolio or from the segment Work view.
- In the Add task window, enter the details for the task.
- Click Add.
Internal task assignees receive an email of the task if notifications enabled.
Account contacts do not receive email notification for task assignment. See success plans.
Global admins can force enable task and SuccessPlay email notifications for all users (Settings > General).
- Account: Required field. The account for which you want to add a task. Only accounts in your team(s) are available.
Associate with users: Optionally associate with an account user within task details. Associating a user with a task provides context for the work and prompts a post-completion touchpoint when the task is completed (e.g., defaults the user in the Participants field of the touchpoint).
If the touchpoint is not mandated (via SuccessPlay), task assignees can remove the participant name and complete a task without a touchpoint.
- Task title: Required field. Best practice is to use an action-oriented language (e.g., investigate tickets).
- Description: Required field. Supports rich text formatting, such as bullets, hyperlinks, images, and more to document the details of the action. If enabled, you can generate text with the help of AI.
- Add Attachment: Add supporting assets on the account profile.
- Flow: Select the appropriate flow for this interaction.
Assigned to: Choose the named assignee for the task:
- Account team members, shown in the Account Assignment widget on the account profile
- Account contacts, shown in the Contacts widget on the account profile
- Other team members who have access to this account
- Due Date: The date this task must be completed by before being considered overdue. Overdue tasks appear in red.
- Priority: Choose high, normal, or low to prioritize the task. Priority and due date determine the order in which the task appears in the Plan tab of an account profile and My Portfolio.
Additional configuration options are available when tasks are created from a SuccessPlay.
Requesting information is a type of task that asks another team member to update account information using a form.
When creating it from My Portfolio, you can use the search feature to find the account. When adding it from the account profile, the account name will populate automatically.
- From the Quick Actions (+) bar, click Request Information.
- In the Request information window, choose the form you want to use for the data entry. Only forms that match the selected account type are available.
- Add the person you want to assign the task to, by role or named team member.
- Set a due date for task completion.
- Choose the flow.
- Add an optional message to the assignee.
- Click Send.
When an assignee clicks on this task, the selected form appears. The task is complete when the form is completed.
Edit or reassign a task
After a task is created, you can edit the task details, including:
- Due date
- Assigned to
After a task is completed, you cannot change details. If you delete a task, you can no longer view the task. Deleted tasks are removed from all areas of Totango. Request for information tasks cannot be edited or deleted.
Reassign fallback tasks
Tasks that were assigned from a SuccessPlay may have been dynamically assigned by:
- Role: Based on account assignment on the account profile
- Team Pool: Based on pools using matching criteria on the Totango user profile
If no matching user was found at the time of task creation, the task is assigned to the fallback user (overall accountability owner or SuccessPlay creator). If that's you, you can either complete the task yourself or reassign.
The re-assignment options include:
- Reassign manually: Review the task details and choose a named team member to take over this task.
- Reassign dynamically: Re-run the dynamic assignment process and try to assign this task to the right person. For example, if the fallback reason was lack of availability, you can assume that after a few days there will be enough availability to complete the task. If the fallback reason was no account role found, go to the account and assign someone to the role so future tasks assigned by SuccessPlay won't require fallback.
Complete a task
Complete a task from the My Portfolio page or from the account profile directly. Task completion includes options for adding a post completion touchpoint, post completion information update, and follow-up action.
If assigning task via SuccessPlay, post completion activity may be configured as required.
- Click on the task, or click on the Complete Task check box.
- In the Mark Task as Complete window, choose from any of the following:
- Add a post completion touchpoint. Capture a related interaction with the customer, such as an email or new attachment.
- Add a post completion information update. Click Update Account Attribute to denote a change in the account, such as number of licenses.
- Add a follow-up action. Plan for next steps without leaving the screen.
- Click Complete Task.
The task is marked as complete and appears with a green strike.
Additional post completion options may be configured for tasks created from a SuccessPlay.
Question: What is the purpose of associating a task with a user (e.g., Associate with users link) in the Add task window?
Answer: Tasks inform you and the rest of your team on the work happening on the account. Associating an external user with a task provides additional context for the task assignee as for whom the work is being performed.
Additionally, Totango prompts task assignees with a post-completion touchpoint when the task is completed (e.g., defaults the user in the Participants field of the touchpoint). If the touchpoint is not mandated (via SuccessPlay), task assignees can remove the participant name and complete a task without a touchpoint.
Users associated to tasks as part of SuccessPlays can also be segmented by the Targeted by SuccessPlay filter.