Who can use this feature?
- Global admins, SuccessBLOC owners, and collaborators
- Users have view access to SuccessBLOCs that are published to a team; additional access permissions to individual SuccessPlays, campaigns, canvas, and objective templates vary.
- Available on all plans
Campaigns rely on email uniqueness to automatically dedupe campaign targets to ensure each person receives only one email, regardless of how many user profiles the person has in Totango or if those profiles are associated with multiple customer accounts.
Totango relies on the Email of the user profile, not the User ID. Data admins configure what value represents the User ID. It's often the same as the email address, but it's not required.
Scenarios for users with multiple accounts
Totango supports association of users (people) with multiple account profiles. This scenario may occur if your account hierarchy includes multiple products, and a user profile is associated with multiple product ids. Or a key contact works with multiple companies (consultant, partner).
Where deduping occurs
Totango includes automatic deduping processes in the following areas:
- Send a campaign to one person, even if the person has several user IDs
- Display campaign performance results based on the unique people who engaged
- When campaign recipient unsubscribes from a campaign, all associated profiles with the user are also marked as unsubscribed
Send a campaign
Within campaign targets, when Totango finds a user with multiple profiles using the same email address, it uses the first profile to send the address. All other matching profiles are known as Duplicated.
Analyze campaign performance
Within campaign performance, these engagement metrics apply to unique users:
- Sent: Emails successfully dispatched [= Sent - Duplicated - Dropped]
- Delivered: Emails that were successfully delivered [= Sent - Bounced]
- Open rate: Emails that were viewed
- Engaged: Opened emails where recipient clicked a button
Depending on the goal criteria, the metrics for goal achievement may apply to unique users or duplicated. For example, if measuring goal achievement by user activity (e.g., number of logins for a new product, time spent in consuming a new feature, number of active days), Totango measures activities of the user in regard to a related account (or product).
The number of duplicated users (deduped) appear in the delivery metrics section.
Within the list of targeted users, use the following filters to view the effects of the automatic deduping process:
- All targeted users: All users that matched the campaign criteria
- Unique users: Users who were sent the campaign after automatic deduping applied
View campaigns on a user profile
See all the campaigns a user received on the user profile Campaigns tab. A campaign will be marked as delivered if the person got the campaign for any associated account or product (i.e., it will be marked for all the users related to the person). The goal achieved mark will appear only if this specific user met the goal criteria.
View campaigns on an account profile
Review the Campaigns sent to an account on the account profile using the Timeline widget or Timeline tab. The targeted values count all the people who got the campaign and belong to this account. Hover over targeted values to see details.
Use campaign filters in segments
When using campaign filters in segments, only the following filter includes all users (unique and duplicated): Targeted by / not targeted by.
- If you use the Targeted by / not targeted by campaign filter in the campaign segment definition for creating targets, Totango will dedupe the users prior to sending.
- If you use the Is in segment / not in segment filter in the campaign segment definition for creating targets AND that referenced segment includes a Targeted by filter, Totango cannot dedupe the users prior to sending. Therefore, referencing a segment with this filter in campaign target criteria is not allowed.
Question: I have a new campaign using the “not_targeted_by [another campaign]” criteria. This campaign does not show users targeted by the previous campaign, but it also does not show the targets who have the same email as the first campaign but were not targeted, because they were de-duped. Why are some users not targeted in my new campaign, and why do I not see them in my deduped list?
Answer: Duplicate users that have the same email address—even if connected to different accounts and have different unique IDs—still apply to the Totango deduplication filter. Using a “Not Targeted by Campaign x” criteria for Campaign B running after Campaign A, will exclude users targeted by the previous campaign (A). This includes any users sharing the same email as any of the other users already targeted in the previous campaign. Since the campaign did not target those users, it will also not show them in the deduped count for the new campaign, as those were not deduped in the process of the new campaign but simply were not targeted.
In some instances, this may create a situation where a campaign was created and sent but no users were targeted after activation; it may be difficult to tell why the campaign was never sent. Therefore, we urge using only the “Not Targeted by Campaign x” as segment criteria in the campaign settings and via segment (rather than ad hoc filter criteria) to allow for the most accurate results.