Who can use this feature?
- Global admins or users with advanced permissions
- Available on all plans
A collection displays a set of transactional account data within a table format on the account profile. Examples of data commonly added as a collection are support tickets, opportunities, or survey data from another system. Totango uses collections to display CSAT and NPS responses sent from Totango campaigns.
Key features of a collection
Once added and enabled, teams can interact with collections throughout Totango.
Widget: See detailed information from a variety of sources in one place (account profile). Just like other areas of the account profile, admins can change display options per collection.
Form: If permissions allow, teams can edit and add items to collection from the collection widget using a rapid insights form.
Segment filters: Use collection filters in an account segment
Segment object: Create collection segments to analyze groups of collection information
Collection information is not available in user segments, campaigns, teams, or health designer.
Create a collection
A collection object contains a set of attributes. Each row represents a unique item in the collection.
- From Settings, expand Data Management > Data Modeler.
- On the Account Information tab, click +Add Account Attribute.
- Choose Collection.
- Configure properties for the collection:
- Name: The name of the collection. Only alphanumeric characters and underscores allowed. The Collection ID and Key values will automatically default based on the collection name.
- Collection ID: Provide a unique ID for the collection, which is used to identify each row in a collection.
- Dimension: Choose the dimension for categorization purposes.
- Editability: If you do not plan to update this value in Totango, clear the Editability check box. This scenario is common if you're bringing in collection data via integration and not passing data back out of Totango. However, you may want to allow your teams to edit and add new rows to a collection from within Totango, depending on the collection use case.
- Add attributes (rows) to the collection:
- Display name: The name of the attribute.
- ID: The API name of the attribute.
- Type: Choose from Text, Number, Currency, Date, List, or Multi-Select.
- Visibility and Default Values: Choose options for privileged access, hidden, or default values if updating via integration.
- Hover next to each attribute to expose more options:
- Visibility: Optionally hide and attribute from the account profile
- Up / Down: Re-order the location of the attribute as it appears in the grid
- Advanced Settings: Optionally add a display name and choose options for default values if updating via integration. If using Currency, List, Mulit-Select attribute types, define additional properties for the attribute.
Remove: Delete the attribute from the collection.
- When you're done adding attributes, click Create.
After the collection is created:
- The collection is immediately available to use in an integration.
- If you chose to enable editability, a new rapid insights form is automatically created, which includes every attribute in the collection.
- The collection is not automatically added to the account profile.
- The collection appears as an option for segmentation.
Upload data to a collection
Data for standard collections can be uploaded via an integration. Load data into Totango via API or CSV. Update in real-time using API, or as quickly as every 15 minutes using CSV or Data Warehouse or CRM.
Collection attributes must include the following:
|Account ID||Every collection must be associated with an account. A collection can be associated with more than one account.|
|Collection ID||Every collection must have a unique Collection ID, which is used to identify each row in a collection.|
Add the collection to the account profile
When you're ready to share the collection with your team, you can edit the layout for the profile of the account type(s) you want to expose the collection to. You can edit account profile layouts for a particular team or all teams.
Edit or add records to a collection
If you enabled Editability in the collection properties, additional options in the collection widget are available to teams:
- Add: Invoke the collection's rapid insight form to enter data for the collection. If the ID field of a collection is left blank, Totango automatically generates an ID.
- Edit: Invoke the collection's rapid insight form to edit data.
- Delete: Remove a row from the collection.
Editing collection attributes in bulk via segmentation is not supported.
Delete a collection
Global admins and users with permission to Data Modeler can delete a collection manually or set a retention policy for auto-deletion.
- Once a collection is deleted, it will delete the collection definition and all the collection data.
- A collection cannot be deleted if there is a recurring integration job defined for this collection.
- The default retention policy settings for a new collection is inherited from its parent account.
Question: Why is data for an attribute not reflecting in the Collection when the custom account attribute with the same Name / API has value?
Answer: Custom account attribute and Collection attributes are two different entities. They can share the same Name / API.