Every account must have a value for Status (Contract Status) to classify customer contracts within these groups:
- Free: Non-paying account
- Paying: Paying account on an active subscription
- Canceled: Churned or disabled account
Totango calculates health and other key metrics for active customers. Accounts that do not have status value set correctly will be classified as "Unknown" and will not take part in daily health calculation.
Define new contract statuses
Within the contract status groups, you can define new status values that represent your business. If your business supports a freemium model through Totango, you can also set a specific data retention policy free accounts.
An example of custom statuses include the following:
- Trial: Assuming your application has a free trial accounts that you are managing with Totango
- Internal-use: For non-production accounts, such as demos or testing tenants
- Within Settings, expand Data Management > Data Modeler.
- On the Contract Status tab, click Add Contract Status.
- Choose the group (Free, Paying, Canceled).
- Add a name for the status.
- Click Create.
Update the contract status on an account
Because status is a required field, you must choose a status when creating an account manually via data entry or via data file (e.g., CSV) or data source integration (e.g., Salesforce). You can also set the status from your web application using the Totango API. Totango users can update contract status like any other attribute: