Who can use this feature?
- Refer to user licenses for limitations
- Available on all plans
Touchpoint Connect is an MS Outlook add-In that allows you to log a touchpoint to Totango directly from your Outlook inbox. Touchpoints and replies using Touchpoint Connect are saved to the related account timeline in Totango.
Configure the Touchpoint Connect add-in
Add the Totango Touchpoint Connect add-in using a custom add-in from a URL or from the Microsoft admin center using the "Deploy from the Store" option.
TouchPoint Connect is optimized for MS Outlook 365 (web version) and on-prem versions of Outlook 1.11 and beyond. Some older versions of Outlook may have lower levels of functionality, such as not supporting changes made in the “Bcc”, “Cc” and “To” fields.
- From your MS Outlook Inbox, select Get Add-In from bottom ribbon of any open email.
- From the "Deploy from the Store" option of the Microsoft admin center, search for the Totango: Touchpoint Connect add-on.
Alternatively, you can add a custom add-in from URL: https://app.totango.com/email-addin/manifest.xml
- Open a new email and click the newly added Touchpoint Connect icon from the lower ribbon.
- When prompted, log into Totango with your authorized credentials or SSO.
We recommend that you use the same email for Outlook and Totango to ensure that you have full access to the same account set in both applications. Single sign-on authentication is available for extended SSO / SAML and direct Microsoft SSO.
Create a touchpoint using Touchpoint Connect
After the add-in is installed and authenticated, you can use Touchpoint Connect to search for Totango accounts and contacts within your email draft.
- From any new email, open the Touchpoint Connect add-in from the lower ribbon.
- Start typing the name of an account to find the one you want. You can also sort account results by account name or health.
- Once you select the account, click on a name from the available contacts. If you do not see the contact in the list, try searching for the contact by name. You can also sort contacts by name, role, and email.
- The selected contact(s) are added to the Bcc distribution line of your email.
- You can optionally drag-and-drop to move the addresses to different distribution lines if you want to ensure email replies are threaded (see helpful hints below).
- Compose your message, and send your email as you normally would. The touchpoint gets logged in Totango under the default flow.
- The Touchpoint Connect window will close. Simply click add-in again from to re-open it.
- You can manually add recipients to your distribution list that are not listed in Totango as contacts.
- When you select an account, the touchpoint identifier will default to the BCC line in your distribution. Thus, any reply from your email recipients (even if they are authorized Totango users) will not create a reply in your timeline.
- If you want to show the logging of the touchpoint to your email recipients, simply move the address from the BCC field to the CC field. This will also allow your email recipients to reply as part of the thread (provided the person sending the reply is an authorized contact and can post to the account).
- If you want your email replies to be threaded / connected to the original email, please make sure the touchpoint identifier email has been moved from the BCC to CC column and that your Totango admin has configured touchpoint settings to group replies and original touchpoints together (count and display touchpoint replies as one touchpoint).
Question: Can I use Touchpoint Connect if I have SSO enabled for my Totango authentication.
Answer: Single sign-on authentication is available for extended SSO / SAML and direct Microsoft SSO.
Question: Do I have to use Touchpoint Connect to log a touchpoint? What if I just need to look up an email address?
Answer: Yes, you can use Touchpoint Connect as a contact list, without logging a touchpoint. Simply toggle off the "Create email as a Touchpoint" option at the top of the Touchpoint Connect window.
Question: What happens if I delete the account I chose from the distribution?
Answer: All associated contacts will also disappear. This will not delete any contacts that are external to the account or have been manually added.
Question: How do I log out of Touchpoint Connect?
Answer: Simply click the settings icon at the bottom of the Touchpoint Connect window, and a menu will appear that includes links to support and a logout option.
Question: I cannot download or use any add-in not approved by Microsoft. When is that coming?
Answer: The application process and review and should be completed in the coming weeks.
Question: I'm having trouble getting the add-in installed. What can I try?
Answer: If you are using Safari as your browser, from your Privacy settings try unchecking Prevent Cross-Site Tracking, Hide IP Address from Trackers, and Block all Cookies.
If you are using the Chrome as your browser and are in Incognito mode, make sure to toggle off the Block third-party cookies option.