Who can use this feature?
- Global admins or users with advanced permissions
- Available on all plans
Supported data objects for upload
You can use the same file twice for different integrations, but you may find it easier to create a separate CSV file for each type of data you want to load.
|Data Object||Required Attributes||Starter File|
From the table below, click in the first column to view common attributes per object.
Account hierarchy (sample).csv
||Usage aggregated (sample).csv|
||Account Assignment (sample).csv|
Accounts Foreign Keys
File properties and size
- Totango supports non-English characters in the data set; however, file names must contain English characters only.
- File should be saved in CSV US format with UTF-8 encoding. If you are a non North America regionality, manually generating the file using pipe or semicolon as separators requires you to either change your regional settings within your OS, or manually alter the file in a text editor to conform to comma/quote encapsulation.
- There is no file size limitation for recurring uploads.
- Due to browser limitations, a file uploaded from your local computer cannot exceed 100MB.
- Ensure there is no system log information generated at the end of your CSV file, which may occur when extracted from CRM or any report generator systems (e.g., Salesforce).
- If you use Excel, it often alters formatting of a file when you open and save it. Once you generate the CSV, do not open/save it.
Columns and attribute names
- The first row in the CSV file should be the header row, followed by the actual data. The first row cannot be blank.
- Column headers must have the same name as the API name of the attribute where you intend the data to go.
- All column headers should have a unique name (no duplication).
- A CSV file cannot contain more than 1,000 columns.
- The CSV file should contain one row of data per each object (e.g., each row in an account upload file should contain information for a single account).
- In case of duplications, the file will not pass the validation. On a recurring upload, when duplication occurs, only the last row of this account will be uploaded and stored in Totango.
Attributes and data types
Totango also allows you to configure source field format during the integration job (upload). Totango will transform the raw data from your file into the formatting you specify.
- An empty value in a row will generate the default value behavior for this attribute.
To retain special characters (e.g., comma, a semicolon, apostrophe, or a newline), the value needs to be encapsulated with double quotes ("). For example, to retain the comma in john,doe represent it as "john,doe" in the file. In a case of columns containing text with Unicode characters, encapsulation with double quotes is not required.
Number and currency attributes should be in US Decimal format. Do not include special characters, including dollar signs($) or commas (,). Negative values are accepted for attributes (e.g., -1000.50) but not accepted for usage data counts.
- Separate more than one multi-select list values by a comma.
Date attributes should be ISO 8601 format (see common date formats). For example, 2019-09-17T08:00:00.0Z or 2019-09-17T00:00:00-08:00 in case the time zone is -0800. If timezone is not added, all date attributes are considered to be in UTC format and are automatically converted to the service’s timezone.
We recommend that you convert and send dates in UTC GM format: 2021-01-04T00:00:00.0Z if you expect to have global operations with different definitions of date.
Question: Do I need to create one CSV file with all columns?
Answer: Yes, you can use the same file for different object uploads or again on the same object. We recommend using different files to keep things simple, but it's up to you. As long as the file includes the required fields for the selected data object, you can re-use it multiple times.
- collection data sample csv.csv1 KB
- Usage Activity Stream Sample.csv464 Bytes
- Tasks.csv182 Bytes
- Touchpoints.csv144 Bytes
- user sample.csv669 Bytes
- account assignment sample.csv321 Bytes
- account sample.csv255 Bytes
- account hierarchy sample.csv737 Bytes
- usage aggregated data sample.csv243 Bytes
- user sample NPS.csv226 Bytes