Who can use this feature?
A customer’s onboarding experience with your products or services sets the tone for their relationship with your brand. The Manage Onboarding Projects SuccessBLOC helps you standardize your onboarding experience so that you can get your customers started faster and set them up for long-term success.
For guided training, check out our self-paced course: SuccessBLOC Setup: Manage Onboarding Projects.
This BLOC is intended for companies that use a high touch, project-based onboarding process. If your onboarding process is low touch or not project-based, consider using the Digital Onboarding SuccessBLOC instead, which is driven by user actions and campaigns.
This BLOC does not require much data to get started! Download a CSV file for lists of account and user attributes used for this BLOC.
1. Define your onboarding stages
Onboarding stages are represented using a lifecycle status attribute type in Totango, which allows you to automatically track the time in each stage. Onboarding stages represent are key phases of the process, during which your teams will be required to complete a series of tasks before moving to the next one. Stages should be fairly high level (4-5 stages total).
The default onboarding stages in the SuccessBLOC are:
- Kick Off
- Business Discovery
- Live (end stage)
Once an end stage is reached, the counting of days stops. Moving the account to another stage, after the end stage, restarts the clock and it starts counting the days in a stage again.
- Once you have decided on your key stages, ensure they are represented in Totango. Within Data Modeler, locate the Onboarding Stage attribute and ensure the stages match your processes.
2. Define onboarding tasks
Each stage in the process will be comprised of a series of tasks that are required to be completed in order for that stage to be completed. For example, Kick Off might include a Sales to CS Handover process or meeting, uploading documents to the customer record, and filling in account data.
As a best practice, tasks are not checklist items; they should be actionable to-dos for your team. For example, a task might be "update account record" and the description of the task is "upload contract file, update key contacts," instead of having a task to upload the contract and another task to update key contacts
- List your key tasks, grouped by onboarding stage. Keep this list handy for when you configure SuccessPlays next.
3. Configure SuccessPlays and automate movement between stages
This BLOC comes with three SuccessPlays that drive onboarding workflows:
- Internal handover (Kick off stage)
- Business discovery (Business discovery stage)
- Implementation (Implementation stage)
Each task can include post-completion actions, some automatic and some manual. Once the last task of one of your onboarding stages is completed, review post-completion actions that automatically update to the next stage, which can trigger the next play.
- Edit these SuccessPlays to ensure the tasks and post-completion actions match your processes.
4. Edit scorecard
The scorecard is made up of a series of KPI cards that measure the goals of your onboarding program. Each KPI card is driven by a segment. The segment defines the list of customers that you want to look at based on attributes.
For example, a segment for Customers in Onboarding filters only customers where Customer Journey Stage is Onboarding. The KPI card is looking at the metric (e.g., Accounts) and displaying in a format that you want to see (e.g., Number, trend, percent).
The KPI cards that come with the Manage Onboarding Projects SuccessBLOC are intended to monitor the time in onboarding, the time in each stage, potential risks, and CSAT.
- If you have edited your onboarding stages, you may need to edit the segments that are driving these KPI. You may also want to edit your targets for the KPI.
5. Review customer contacts and campaigns
Customer contacts are important for your team to know who to reach out to during onboarding. There are several ways to add contacts in Totango.
- Once you have contacts in Totango, you can configure and activate campaigns within this BLOC, such as a Post Onboarding CSAT survey and new user welcome.
Best practices to keep your program running
Consider the following best practices to refine the program:
- Ensure your KPI goals match the customizations you’ve made in your workflows.
As an example, if you build out a sequence of SuccessPlays that assign due dates for tasks that add up to 60 days, but your overall target for the process is 45 days, you’ll want to adjust your KPI.
- Once the program is in motion, dig into the onboarding stage that is taking the longest.
What tasks are overdue, where are people getting stuck? Remember, the reason you are building automation is to get predictability on meeting your targets and to see immediately when something is out of compliance.