Who can use this feature?
- Global admins or users with advanced permissions
- Available on all plans
Configure a Zendesk integration to give your Totango team visibility into key support data from tickets and customer satisfaction ratings.
The Zendesk integration uses a self-service wizard to connect and can have only one integration job defined.
Learn more about system support attributes and other areas of Totango to leverage Zendesk data.
Connect to Zendesk
You must have a Zendesk admin account to set up a Zendesk integration in Totango.
- In Totango, click Settings from the left nav.
- Expand Data Management > Customer Data Hub.
- From the list of active connectors (left), choose Support & Ticketing.
- From the list of available connectors, hover over Zendesk, and click Connect (or View Integration).
- From the Connect with Zendesk screen, choose Yes next to the Zendesk administrator account drop-down, and click Continue.
- Enter the subdomain of your Zendesk instance, and click Authenticate.
Totango can only sync data from one subdomain.
- An authentication window appears (standard OAuth process). Connect using Zendesk's user and password or your Google account. If you already have Zendesk application open in the same browser, your user and password will be used automatically.
- Follow the prompts to allow Totango to access your Zendesk account. Totango requires read-only access.
- When the connection is successful, click Continue.
You can now set up the integration.
Configure the Zendesk integration
After connecting to Zendesk, configure the account match keys to determine how ticket information ties back to the right account profile in Totango. You can access these Settings anytime after the initial wizard setup.
- Within the Zendesk integration, click Edit Settings next to the Account Match Keys.
- Within the Account Match Keys window, choose the Zendesk Organization ID that maps to the Totango Account Attribute (ID).
- Click Continue.
- Choose the timeframe (x) to use for ticket metrics (7, 14, 30, 90, 180 days). Optionally include satisfaction score metrics. Metrics that will be included:
- Current number of tickets (all tickets)
- Number of tickets created in last x days (all tickets)
- Current number of tickets (urgent & high priority tickets)
- Number of tickets created in last x days (urgent & high priority tickets)
- Optional - Ticket satisfaction score in last x days (all tickets)
- Optional - Ticket satisfaction score in last x days (urgent & high priority tickets)
- Click Continue.
- Review the fields and notifications that will appear on the account timeline when a high or urgent ticket is created, solved, or a bad satisfaction score is received:
- Reported time
- Assigned group
- Review the notifications that will appear on the account profile timeline and My Portfolio page for the following:
- High or urgent priority ticket created
- High or urgent priority ticket solved
- High or urgent priority ticket reopened
- Click Save & Sync.
The sync will start immediately and will continue incrementally every hour (e.g., all changes in the related Zendesk tickets since the last successful sync). Additionally, every night Totango's integration engine validates past year's data to verify that Totango and Zendesk are fully synced.
You can review the status anytime and force a new sync or pause the sync (e.g., when doing Zendesk maintenance).
Question: What are the different ways to match Zendesk organization data to Totango accounts?
Answer: Zendesk integration is based on matching Zendesk organizations to Totango accounts. You can store the Zendesk organization matching key in Totango, or to store the Totango account matching key in Zendesk.
A matching key can be any reliable key, for example, organization id, organization name, domain name, third party account level id (like Salesforce). Please keep in mind that for every new account, you will have to add the matching key either automatically using scripts or manually.
Account level matching limitations:
- Account matching field is case sensitive.
- Account matching attribute must be a text attribute.
- The integration will not match a Zendesk organization that matches more than one Totango account.
If you change the account match keys, you can view the updated data the next day, after the Totango integration engine performs a full past year data sync (nightly).
Question: Can I match a Zendesk user to a Totango user?
Answer: Totango will match the users from Zendesk to Totango automatically. Using the account level matching, Totango will monitor every Zendesk user and if this user exists in Totango, the support data will be attached to this user (using the user email as a key).
However, there is no way to match only user data from Zendesk to Totango; it must be connected first at the account level.
Question: Can I choose the support metrics which are synced to Totango?
Answer: The support metrics are pre-selected for you. No customization is available except to optionally sync satisfaction score data into Totango.
Question: Can I sync Zendesk SLA data to Totango?
Answer: No, SLA data is not supported.
Question: Can I sync Zendesk ticket custom fields?
Answer: No. Only out-of-the-box Zendesk ticket information is synced.
Question: Can I change ticket notification settings?
Answer: No customizations to the ticket notification settings are available.
Question: What happens when there are unmatched accounts?
Answer: Use the Status tab to view account matching statistics to monitor unmatched accounts (e.g., no Totango account was found to match the Zendesk one). If unmatched accounts are found, click Details to download the list of accounts for review.
If your Zendesk has a lot of organizations that should not appear in Totango (for example, expired organizations), then you may expect a high number of unmatched accounts.
Question: What should I do if my integration fails?
Answer: An integration failure notice appears in the Customer Data Hub page and on the Status page of the integration. If the account matching statistics are zeroed, you may have an issue with your Zendesk authentication (e.g., the Zendesk admin password expired, Zendesk admin user has expired, etc.). Click Change Login to re-authenticate.
Anytime you change your Zendesk admin password or disable the admin account, you should re-authenticate in Totango as well.
Question: What happens when I delete the integration?
Answer: You can delete the Zendesk integration from the Settings tab of the integration. Your Zendesk configuration will be deleted, and you cannot be undo this action. The support data (events and metrics) will remain in Totango.