Sync data attributes into Totango Accounts directly from their corresponding records on your CRM. This is used to bring critical data into Totango:
- Business context: Account status and contract information
- Account management: Account ownership and status data
- 3rd Party data: Any other data-points of relevance to the CS team (example: Executive sponsorship flag, NPS scores) from your CRM
Totango uses this context for customer segmentation and workflow. For example, using customers renewal dates Totango builds a realtime segment of upcoming renewals with low product engagement. Using account ownership, Totango finds and alerts the relevant team-member whenever their accounts reach this stage.
- Make sure you have Totango & Salesforce users with administrative privileges.
- You must have a Salesforce Enterprise or Unlimited edition license.
- A single Totango service can connect to a Salesforce service. Multiple Totango services connecting to a single Salesforce is not supported.
Step-1: Establish secure data connection
Login to Totango Salesforce | Settings page (Note: if you cannot login, your Totango user may not have admin privileges) and provide the necessary Salesforce.com credentials. We recommend creating a dedicated Salesforce.com user for API access, but you can use any SFDC user with appropriate privileges for this purpose.
You will need your username, password and security-token. If all goes well you should see the green Authenticated! message as shown in the screen shot below.
Step-2: Identify the SFDC objects you want Totango to sync with
Depending on your business model and what type of business entity you want your customer success team to manage. You might want to pull into Totango several objects from SFDC, Totango can support syncing with the unlimited type of objects from SFDC. All you need to do is click on the add object button, under the object setting tab in the SFDC settings and provide the SFDC API name of the object you want to sync with (see image below)
Step-3: Identify bind fields for accounts & users
Depending on the design pattern your organization has chosen for account-id assignment in Totango, you will need to supply the appropriate Salesforce.com field to use as a bind-field to Totango. Read more about binding fields and consult your Totango Customer Success Manager for any question.
If you plan to use the SFDC ID, it is REQUIRED that your integration uses the 18 character ID. The 18 character ID is a case safe ID. To expose this ID within an Object you will need to go into the Object and create a formula field of type text. The formula to use within that field is CASESAFEID(Id). You can also follow this guide from Salesforce.
Tip: We highly recommend to map Totango accounts by mapping the Totango account ID to a salesfroce formula calculated field in the SFDC. So you can leave the field in SFDC Null for accounts you don't want Totango to import and populate the filed with the relevant account ID that we can match with the account ID the your product is familiar with and can be sent to us in the as part of the usage data.
Step-4: Setup Totango Attributes
The next steps is to list the relevant attributes you want Totango to pull and sync from SFDC.Totango will pull the values from Salesforce every hour to keep data fresh.
Please review Attributes to sync with Salesforce.com for more information and recommendations for managing the default Totango attributes.
Tip: It can take up to 1 hour for new attribute data to sync from SFDC into Totango. If you'd like to see the new values apply, navigate to Settings | Salesforce.com and click "Sync Now!"
Step-5: Import accounts from SFDC (Optional)
One of the benefits of integrating Totango with SFDC is the transparent replication of any accounts that is created in SFDC as part of the Sales cycle into Totango for managing it by the customer success team.
To have this continues replication, you need to turn the create account from SFDC options on as demonstrated in the image below:
If you are using Totango Enterprise edition, and not turning this feature on you will be required to send us the hierarchy meta data using your usage data (Data instrumentation for hierarchies).
Step-7: Contact syncing setting
Salesforce Contact Sync Feature Overview
What is the feature:
The ability to sync contact attributes from Salesforce to Totango allows a Totango admin user to configure the salesforce integration to automatically sync useful information from the contact record in Salesforce to the user record in Totango. This feature allows you to add attributes to an existing user in Totango, as well as to create new users in Totango who have not yet had any usage activity.
Why is this feature useful:
The ability to sync users and attributes from Salesforce to Totango allows Totango user to segment customer success communications to the end users more effectively by associating a business function, role, unsubscribe, preferences, and other business attributes with contacts, therefore allowing you to have more targeted customer success communications. This integration allows you to use the information gathered about contacts during the sales process and carry it over to the customer success process after the deal is closed.
With the new integration you are able to:
- Sync users from Salesforce to Totango
- Sync users from Totango to Salesforce
- Determine which contact attributes should sync with each user
- Use the synced contact attribute in Totango user segmentation, particularly in campaigns
- The sync is available with any Salesforce object, not limited to a standard contact object
This feature is available to all customers regardless of the Totango Edition.
How to configure:
To make this sync work you need to specify the binding fields between Totango users object and SFDC equivalent object (usually the contact object) by providing:
- The object API name in SFDC to sync the Totango users with (usually the contact object but can be any object in SFDC including custom objects)
- Account binding field - The account bind field is the Salesforce.com field which contains the unique ID of the account as identified in Totango. Depending on the implementation pattern your organization is using, this can either by the Salesforce.com Account ID or a custom field on the Account that contains the tenant id on your application.
- User binding field - The user bind field is the Salesforce.com field with the unique id of individual end-users in a Contact record. By default Totango will use the Email address on the Contact, but if you use different values for the unique user-id on Totango, you can specify a custom field.
Some key users in your account may not come from the app itself, and you may need to get this user information from your SFDC. This becomes specifically useful when you want to address customer success campaigns to users who are not users in your application. We will now allow you to sync SFDC users to Totango. These users are going to appear in Totango with a new user attribute “CRM user”, clearly identified from the other users at that account. to turn this feature on mark the check box at the bottom, create contacts from SFDC.
In order to set the contact as key contact in Totango, you need to sync the value 'yes' (lower case) to the Totango attribute “Key Contact” for the relevant user.
Congratulations, your Totango incoming Salesforce.com connection is setup. We recommend you validate your data to make sure data is flowing correctly with a good match rate.
Once ready, you can proceed to install the Totango Salesforce.com application to enable access of Totango from within Salesfroce.com and the task and touch point syncing package