Customer Health Score consolidates all the data about your customer and classifies them into a single health score. It enables companies to speed up and scale communication, prioritization, decision making and forecasting of their customer success operations.
Totango offers two types of health calculations:
- Account Health: Read more
- Multidimensional Health
Read more on best practices for executives managers
Multidimensional Health is a three tier health model:
- Metric level (Totango attributes)
- Dimension level - metrics are categorized by Totango dimensions as defined in Data Modeler
- Account level
Multidimensional Health allows users to see areas (dimensions) with health problems: understand issues at a dimensional level not just in a single metric level
Multidimensional Health gives the ability to set weights to metrics and to dimensions to fine-tune the health calculation according to business priorities
Accurate health score (0-100) is calculated according to weights both for the dimension level and for the account level
Supported use cases:
- Digital customer success manager - My Portfolio health widget
- Enterprise customer success manager - Account Profile health widget
- Customer success team leader / Management - Analyze Customer Health SuccessBLOC
Best practices - Dimensions
Customer health scores can measure nearly all of your interactions with your customers when determining your score. The most common health dimensions are:
- Usage: What are the volume and depth of use?
- Adoption: Sold licenses and services versus actually being utilized, usage of sophisticated features
- Support: How many open support cases, Top priority support cases, Total support cases for customers
- Voice of the customer: Are you getting feedback from customers in the form of CSAT and satisfaction scores?
- Sentiment / Risk: CSM sentiment
- Financial / Billing: invoices overdue
- Engagement: Last touchpoint
- Early warning system - Alarm system
- Pinpoint problems right away: each one of the metrics which is in poor health will set the account health to poor
- Only if all the metrics are in good health the account health will be good
- Everything is of equal importance
- Allows team to execute quickly
Using Multidimensional Health
Choosing Account Health or Multidimensional Health
In Global Settings/ Data Management/ Health Designer, you can choose between Account Health and Multidimensional Health models
Note: Existing Totango customers will have Account Health as the default to maintain their current health scores. For new customers the default is Multidimensional Health
Note: Existing customers need to enable Multidimensional Health beta toggle. this can be done in one of two ways:
1. In Global Settings/My Account:
2. In Health designer:
Each model has its own health profiles, users can edit and create new profiles for each model separately.
Moving from one health model to the second one is a two steps process to ensure data continuity:
- If you are in Multidimensional Health for example and it is the active model, click Account Health. You can now create and edit health profiles for Account Health while the health in the Totango service continues to be calculated with Multidimensional Health which is still active. This allows you to finalize the process of health profiles creating without affecting the calculations of health in the service
- Health preview is available to see the results of the new profiles created
- once ready, click 'Activate Account Health' and confirm it in the confirmation box to change the health calculation in the entire service.
- Same for changing from Account Health to Multidimensional Health:
- If you are in Account Health and it is the active model, click MultiDimensional Health. You can now create and edit health profiles for Multidimensional Health while the health in the Totango service continues to be calculated with Account Health which is still active. This allows you to finalize the process of health profiles creating without affecting the calculations of health in the service
- Health preview is available to see the results of the new profiles created. Side-side attributes are also available to compare health ranks (see below)
- once ready, click 'Activate Dimensional Health' and confirm it in the confirmation box to change the health calculation in the entire service.
- See here how multidimensional health is calculated
Note: When changing from Account Health to Multidimensional health, Dimensional Health attributes are available to use in segments and account profile for side-by-side comparison before activating Multidimensional Health (see below)
Create / Edit Multidimensional Health profiles
- Click 'New Profile' to create a new profile, or, click on an existing profile name to view and edit it
- Choose the account type, products and segment of accounts
- click 'Add Metric' to add a metric to the profile
- Metric will automatically be added under the dimension it belongs to as defined in Totango Data Modeler
- For each metric you need to chose both Poor and Good condition. Average condition is automatically defined as the criteria not covered by Good or Poor
- Define weights for Metrics and Dimensions. (integer weights only)
- Note: All metric weights for each dimension should sum up to 100% and all dimensions weights should sum up to 100%. All weights should be integers
Note: For new customers, the Totango systems will include a Default Multidimensional Health profile that is fully functional out of the box.
Multidimensional Health Settings
- Define ranges for Good Average and Poor health by moving the sliders (Multidimensional health only)
- Note: poor can be up to a maximum of 50, good can start from a minimum of 55
- Select Enterprise calculation method for accounts modeled in hierarchy. Read More.
Ignore metrics and dimensions with no value
You can choose to ignore metrics and dimensions to better control Multidimensional Health calculation:
- Attributes/Metrics with no value for a specific dimension within an Account are ignored and are not used in the health calculation of the dimension of that account
- Dimensions where all their attributes are missing for an account, are ignored and are not part of the overall health calculation of the account
- When an attribute is ignored, its weight is distributed between all the other attributes of the that dimension proportionally to their weights
- Same for dimension: ignored dimension weight is distributed between all the other dimensions proportionally to their weights. Account profile health widget shows the adjusted dimensions weights
Multidimensional Health Preview
For each Multidimensional Health profile you can see preview of the heath calculation results in 3 ways:
- At the top of the screen:
- Average health score for all the accounts in the segment of this profile
- Number of accounts in the segment of this profile
- How many accounts are in Poor/Average/Good health rank
- Next to each dimension - details on the dimension score of all the accounts in the segment of this profile
- Clicking the Preview button on the top right of the screen - All the detailed metric and dimensions calculation for all the accounts in the segment of this profile
Multidimensional Health Attributes for side-by-side comparison
For existing customers that are using Account Health and want to move to Multidimensional Health we offer side-by-side attributes to compare their current Account Health ranks to Multidimensional Health ranks and scores.
These attributes are available from the moment you start creating Multidimensional Health profiles and allows you to compare the health scores to your current health scores before you activate Multidimensional health.
These attributes can be used in segments and account profile in addition to the current health rank to see the differences between Account Health and Multidimensional Health.
The attributes are:
- Dimensional Health Account score - account level score (0-100)
- Dimensional Health Account Rank - account level rank (red/yellow/green)
- Dimensional Health Rank (for each specific dimension) - dimension score (0-100)
- Dimensional Health Score (for each specific dimension) - Dimension rank (red/yellow/green)
Multidimensional Health calculation
Multidimensional health is calculated bottom up in 3 steps:
- Metric score: Metric score is:
- 100 - if the good criteria is met
- 0 - if the poor criteria is met
- 60 - if the average criteria is met (meaning that its not in good and not in poor) or f the metric has no value for this customer
- Note: If a metric value is not defined for a specific account and if 'No Value' is not part of one of the metric conditions in the health profile, it will be ignored and not included in the health calculation. Same for any dimension that all its metrics don't have values:
- When an attribute is ignored, its weight is distributed between all the other attributes on the same dimension proportionally to the attributes weights
- Same for dimension: ignored dimension weight is distributed between all the other dimensions proportionally to their weights
- Example: Let's say we have a dimension with 3 metrics with the following weights:
- Metric1 - 60%
- Metric2 - 20%
- Metric3 - 20%
- If Metric3 does not have a value and it is ignored, the 20% weight of Metric3 will be distributed between Metric1 and Metric2 proportionally meaning Metric2 will get 20/80= 25% and Metric3 will get 60/80=75% . As you can see, before the change, Metric1 weight was 3 times than Metric2 (60% vs. 20%) and this proportion is kept after the change as well (75% vs. 25%)
- After the weights distribution, weights that are not integers are rounded to the nearest integer.
- Here is how you can see when a dimension or a metric/attribute is ignored in the health widget in Account profile. Note the ignore dimension weight is changed to 0% and other dimensions weights are adjusted accordingly:
- If you define 'No Value' as one of the conditions of the metric in the health profile (Good or Poor conditions) , the metric will not be ignored and will get the value of Good or Poor depending on where 'No value' is defined in the health profile.
- Dimension health score: Dimension health score is the weighted average of the metrics score in the dimension. The calculation is: MetricScore1 X Weight1 + MetricScore2 X Weight2 + ...MetricScoreN X WeightN . Dimension health score is a number between 0 and 100 that we round to the closest integer number
- Account health score: Account health score is the weighted average of the all dimensions health scores. The calculation is: DimensionScore1 X Weight1 + DimensionScore2 X Weight2 + ...DimensionScoreN X WeightN . Account health score is a number between 0 and 100 that we round to the closest integer number
- See a calculation example:
Note: Historical health can be calculated only from the date Multidimensional Health was activated.
Consuming Multidimensional Health data
My portfolio Health widget
3 cards widget:
The first card shows the account level Multidimensional Health aggregated for all My Portfolio accounts. Health Score is the average Multidimensional health score. you can see how many accounts are in good, average and poor health and the aggregated contract value for each group. Clicking on each section opens Totango segment with all the accounts for this section and their health details.
The 'Health Score' value in this card is the average of all the My Portfolio accounts Multidimensional health scores.
The second card is a drill down into the dimensions level. you can see the aggregated health scores of your portfolio accounts sorted by contract value at risk (ascending or descending), meaning the aggregated contract value of all accounts in red for this dimension. Clicking on each section opens Totango segment with all the accounts for this section and their health details.
The Third card is also drill down into the dimensions level. you can see the aggregated health scores of your portfolio accounts sorted the dimensions health score (ascending or descending). Clicking on each section opens Totango segment with all the accounts for this section and their health details.
Clicking the '+' button in one of the dimension level cards will open more details on the accounts scores for this dimension. Clicking on each section opens Totango segment with all the accounts for this section and their health details.
This is the segment opens from My Portfolio. Clicking 'Go to Segment' will open a full Totango segment that you can edit and save.
Account profile Health widget
The new Multidimensional Health Account Profile widget, shows the account health score (0-100) , Account health ranks (green/yellow/red) and all the dimensions score of the account.
Clicking the '+' button next to each dimension, will open the metric level to show the health score for each metric, and a hover display, shows the definition of good and poor for this metric , so you know where you are relative to the defined values.
Hover on the account health shows the ranges for good/average/poor health as defined in Health Settings in Global Settings/Data Management / Health designer
Analyze Customer Health SuccessBLOC
This SuccessBloc gives you an immediate insight of all the health data for a given segment of accounts including Multidimensional Health trends, dimension level and account level health status
You can modify and create new ScoreCards for different segments or for different dimensions
The Canvas tab of the SuccessBloc includes 3 tracks out of the box:
- Capitalize on good health
- Reduce accounts in poor health
- Automation and Operations
These include out-of-the-box tasks and campaigns to engage customers and improve their health status.