Who can use this feature?
Customer Satisfaction Survey (CSAT) is an industry standard for measuring transactional sentiment around a recent interaction or service (e.g., training event, business review meeting, onboarding completion). The feedback loop helps identify bottlenecks or points of friction so you can remedy quickly.
CSAT asks recipient's to rate their satisfaction of an engagement using a 5-point scale
- Satisfied: Gives a score of 4 or 5
- Dissatisfied: Gives a score of 1 to 3
From all survey responses, CSAT scores are calculated using one of the following formulas:
Many companies rely on CSAT surveys to run Voice of the Customer (VOC) programs. We recommend starting with the Run VOC Programs SuccessBLOC to use starter campaigns for sending CSAT surveys and conducting follow-up.
Configure CSAT campaign design
A CSAT campaign requires you to define a CSAT attribute. Global admins can create new CSAT attribute types in Data Modeler. You can also create a new CSAT attribute type from within the campaign designer.
- Create a new campaign using an CSAT template (feedback category), or edit a CSAT campaign from your SuccessBLOC.
- From campaign settings, click on the campaign body to open the campaign designer.
- Within the campaign designer, add a new CSAT component, or click on the component if it already exists.
- From the Design tab, choose the CSAT survey metric (attribute), which will store the recipient's survey response.
- If you need to create a new CSAT attribute type, click +Create New.
- Choose a display name and dimension.
- Click Save.
- Additional CSAT attributes are automatically included:
- [Attribute Name] Response Date: Stores date of response
- [Attribute Name] Comment: Stores the recipient's optional comment
- [Attribute Name] Low CSAT Reason: Configurable multi-select list of reasons for dissatisfaction. Defaults are provided, which you can edit. (Localization not supported.)
- [Attribute Name] High CSAT Reason: Configurable multi-select list of reasons for satisfaction. Defaults are provided, which you can edit. (Localization not supported.)
- Configure the additional details for the survey flow to provide context for the survey flow, which can support multiple languages.
- High CSAT Reason Question (4-5 stars)
- Low CSAT Reason Question (1-3) stars
- CSAT additional comment question
- Confirmation message
- Submit button text
- Click to preview the feedback page
- Click Save.
Configure CSAT campaign settings
After configuring campaign design, adjust the campaign settings for subject and sender(s), targets, schedule, and goal. Consider the following best practices:
- Many customers trigger campaigns after completing stages in your customer lifecycle (e.g., Onboarding) or after a QBR or training event (e.g., Touchpoint Reason).
- CSAT schedules are most often set as ongoing as soon as a user meets criteria (e.g., customer journey stage changes from onboarding.
- For events where the likelihood of having the same participants and asking for feedback is common (e.g., QBR meeting or training event), CSAT campaigns include a scheduling option to allow campaigns to be re-sent to the same user after a set number of days.
- Set the goal criteria to the CSAT attribute of the campaign (any value) to consider the campaign successful if a recipient completes the survey.
CSAT campaign flow
After activating a CSAT campaign, the user flow is as follows:
- User clicks a rating from within the email.
- A new browser tab opens with a list of reasons (depending on the rating selected) and a comment box.
- Upon submit, a thank you page appears.
View CSAT responses
CSAT responses are viewable in several areas within Totango. Built-in color thresholds are displayed for Red (0-60%), Yellow (61-80%), and Green (81-100%).
Campaign performance metrics
Engagement metrics include a summary of the selected CSAT metric.
If the account layout is configured to display CSAT responses, you can view results for one survey.
A snapshot of individual NPS score and comment is available on the user profile.
Any segment that includes a filter criteria for the selected CSAT attribute shows score in the segment summary.
Add a KPI with a numeric visual type that reference the CSAT attribute as the metric. The selected segment must be a user segment. Aggregation is Count, Average, or CSAT.