Data File configuration saves time, reduces Totango Admin’s dependency on Ops and data teams, and let you easily manage file integrations by reusing data connectors, editing and duplicating file integrations, using automatic field mapping and real-time previewing and validating your files.
Every file integration type will be configured and uploaded in a separate pre-defined integration, on its own schedule.
This article includes the following topics:
- Customer Data Hub Files Overview
- How to Configure a Customer Data Hub Connection
- Managing Account and User Tags Using CSV
- Uploading Aggregated Usage Data
- Schedule Data File Uploads
- Using an API Endpoint to Trigger File Uploads
How to Upload Data Files
Configuring Data File Integrations is simple: configure your connections, select your file, configure file mapping, and set up schedules.
Follow the steps below to create a new Data File Integration:
- Go to your Totango instance and click on Global Settings > Customer Data Hub > click on data files card (note: you will need Totango admin privileges).
- Create a new file integration by first selecting file integration type, and then selecting your data source
Read more about connection configuration here.
- After the preview and automatic mapping are done, review the keys and attribute mapping and make the necessary changes. You MUST validate the file before saving the file integration.
Note, creating new attributes is done from the mapping section. Make sure to configure all the needed information for the new attribute creation.
- Review file integration settings. The file integration name is based on its source file, it is advised to add a meaningful description.
- In case your file contains additional accounts that you do NOT wish to update in Totango, turn OFF the “Create accounts” option.
- Setup the file integration schedule
* You can upload the file now regardless of the scheduling defined.
* You can enable/disable the scheduling of this integration.
Note, once the file integration is active, Totango will look for this file based on the pre-defined integration schedule. When a new version is detected, it will then automatically upload it to Totango.
If there is no new version of the file, the file integration will skip this file. Skipping a file is considered as an integration failure.
- Save the integration.
- It is advised to review the integration notification settings to make sure the right people will be informed about the progress and outcome. Read more.
How To Maintain Your File Integrations
- Click on a file integration to view its details.
- Edit file integration configuration & Duplicate: You can edit and duplicate a recurring file integration. One-time file integrations can be duplicated but not edited.
- Run Now: You can run the already configured file integration from the UI by clicking the “Run Now” option in the menu and this will not impact the existing schedule (if recurring).
- Download: In order to analyze errors, you can download the file which was uploaded. You can download any file from any previous upload in the “History” modal.
- Disable: In case of maintenance work or an error, you can disable the integration schedule.
- History: You can analyze the integration history in the “History” modal. You can filter the file integration history, view the file integration details, and download the file as it was uploaded.
- Trigger Endpoint: In case you want to trigger the file integration right when your company data process ends, use the trigger API option in the menu to find the API call structure and details. Read more.
- Delete: In case the file integration is no longer needed, you can delete it. Note, this action is irreversible.
Q: Can I use the same file twice for different integrations?
A: Yes. The integration name derived from the file name so makes sure to enter a descriptive description for every file integration.
Q: Can I use more than one file in a single file integration?
A: No. Each file integration handles one file.
Q: I added some columns to my file, what is the best to re-map the file integration to include these columns?
A: New file columns will not automatically be added, it will be ignored and the admin need to map these new columns manually.
In order to add these columns manually, find the file integration you want to edit, click the edit option and go to the mapping section. Open the column dropdown and look for the column names with a green background, these are the unmapped columns. Use the green background to easily spot your desired columns, and map it to a Totango attribute.
Note, changing the mapping requires you to re-validate the file.
Q: What happens if an attribute used in integration is deleted from the data model?
A: You cannot delete an attribute that is mapped in a recurring job. You will be able to delete an attribute that was in use in a one-time upload.
Q: Can I upload a file with accounts that do not exist in Totango?
A: Yes, these accounts can be created dynamically when uploading depends on the account creation settings. You should allow the integration to create accounts in the file integration settings section.
Q: Can I use the same column twice?
A: Yes. Re-using the same column more than once in integration is possible, just pick the same column from the dropdown