Totango Customer Success Campaigns is an engagement and marketing tool that brings the power of user communications directly to the Totango platform.
With Customer Success Campaigns by Totango, email automationhas never been easier. If you are new to Campaigns, you may want to view the Customer Success Campaigns Overview or Basic Requirements for Using Customer Success Campaigns.
We will cover the following topics in this article:
- Campaign Global Settings
- Creating a Campaign
- Setting Goal Achievement Criteria
- Defining the Campaign Content
- Activating and Scheduling
Campaign Global Settings
As a Totango Global Admin, you can configure some basic campaigns settings under Global Settings>Campaigns.
- Email Content - Set up your company signature, footer and social links
- Theme - Define the company theme (Logo, Button Colors etc)
- General - Set up your Campaign Frequency Cap, Goal Achievement calculation and External Error Logging
- White Label - This allows you to send Campaigns through your own custom domain.
- Unsubscribe Page - Use the Totango template for your unsubscribe page, or set up your own
- Unsubscribed Users - View and manage the users that have unsubscribed
Creating a Campaign
You are now ready to create your first campaign.
There are two ways to access Campaigns, either under the Global SuccessBLOC click on "Campaigns" or within any SuccessBLOC, click on the "Campaigns" tab. You must be a Global Admin to create and edit campaigns in the Global SuccessBLOC or be a creator, collaborator or a Team Admin to create or edit campaigns in any other SuccessBLOC.
Choosing your Intent
When you create a new Campaign you begin by choosing a campaign template that matches your intent.
Campaign Basic Info: Provide your Campaign with a name, description and a Flow (if you are creating this in the Global SuccessBLOC), don't worry - the name will not be the same as the subject line of the Campaign.
Subject and Other Information: You can define the Subject, Preview Text and the Bcc and Cc fields for the campaign.
Subject - Provide a catchy subject that captures users interest and makes them open the email
Preview Text - The Preview Text appears right after the subject line in an Inbox and can help you explain to the targeted user why this email is important and must be opened. If preview text is not provided the first few lines of the content appear after the subject line.
Sender - You can configure sender by either role or by a specific individual user in your organization. Configuring the sender by role will make the sender dynamic with respect to each user or account that receives the campaign. Doing so by a specific Totango User, will send the campaign to everyone from the same sender.
Cc and Bcc - These fields allow you to additionally include any team members on the account so that when the customer replies both the sender and the team member in Cc receive replies.
As a best practice, you will want to enter a 'Fallback Sender's Name' and email address if you are sending by role for those cases where the targeted user account does not have a person by that role in the Account Assignment.
Segment: You will need to select a segment of customers to whom you’d like to send the campaign. Click “Edit” next to Segment Criteria section and apply account or user segmentation for your campaign audience. You will be able to preview the users in the segment you configured at the bottom of the page.
Setting your goal achievement criteria
Goal: One of the key advantages of using Totango Campaigns is ability to set goal achievement criteria that are more meaningful than your vanity marketing metrics. For example instead of focusing on clicks and views, you will now be able to take a true customer success perspective and measure changes in user behavior towards the goal you are trying to achieve. This is where setting a goal comes into play.
Defining the Campaign Content
Content: In this step, you will configure the content of the email. Editing the content opens up an email editor where you can edit various components such as Logo, Header, Buttons, Messages etc.
You can then use the editor on the left in order to edit the message content and other components of the campaign.
- Logo - Upload your company logo, which you will see positioned in the template
- Image - Depending on the template you selected, you may have a place for an image, or you can choose to 'Hide Image'
- Call To Action Button - If your template has a CTA, you can configure the link here (or use a Dynamic Link), or you cad 'Hide Button'
- Colors - You can select the color palette or enter your Hex codes
- Signature - You can select the company signature, a personal signature or create a custom signature
- Footer - You can use the company footer or customize it
- Social - Choose what social icons you want to display
Here is where you will write the content of your email. The campaign will default to Hi "Name" which will be your users full display name. You may want to update this to be just first name (for example) so you will need to pull in a new dynamic attribute here. To bring in any dynamic attribute, start by typing $ and you will see a list to choose from (you can use these throughout your campaign).
Make sure you use the (user attribute) for names and depending on how you have brought in your data, first name will probably be under 'firstName'.
Pasting a Youtube, Vimeo or Wistia links automatically retrieves the thumbnail image with a hyperlink to the video. Choosing a custom template allows you to add video links effortlessly and also link to custom video links by uploading a thumbnail image.
You can also use custom HTML if you prefer.
You can then preview the campaign as specific users and send yourself a test email.
In this setting, you can select whether you would like the Campaign to be counted as a customer touch or not on the Account Profile. Meaning, it will be counted in "Last Touch" metrics and on the Timeline, but it will not show in the "# of Touchpoints" Segment filter.
Last but not least, you can schedule the campaign in one of the following ways:
- Send Now - Campaign will be sent 1 time to any user that currently meets the criteria
- Send Later - Campaign will be sent 1 time, at the date & time that you specify, to any user that meets the criteria at that time
- Ongoing (Start Now) - Campaign will be sent ongoing to any user that meets the criteria, starting now. Ongoing campaigns only target a user once.
- Ongoing (Start Later) - Campaign will be sent ongoing to any user that meets the criteria, starting at the date & time that you specify. Ongoing campaigns only target a user once.
- Ongoing (Start Now / Later) with target same users checkbox checked - When the checkbox shown in screenshot below is checked the campaign will target the same users after the specified number of days. The campaign is sent to all users that meet the criteria after the specified number of days.
- Recurring - Campaign will be sent on a regular basis (ex - every Wednesday) to any user that meets the criteria at the time it is sent
- Monthly Campaign
- When Monthly campaign option is chosen the user is also asked to choose a day of the month for the recurrence. If the recurring day of the month option is before the Start Date then the system waits till the next month to fire the first campaign but if the day of the month in recurring option is after the current calendar start date then the first campaign fires on the start date specified with subsequent recurrences on the day of the month specified. For e.g if the Start Date is June 22nd and the monthly option with monthly recurrence option of day of the month as 25th then first campaign will run on June 22nd with the next occurrence on July 25th and so on. However if the day of the month is 5th with start date as June 22nd then the first campaign will fire on July 5th instead of June 22nd and subsequent campaigns on Aug 5th and so on.
- Quarterly Campaign
- When the Quarterly campaign is chosen the first campaign always fires on the Start Date with the subsequent campaign after 3 months on the same day of the month. For e.g if the Start Date is June 22nd then campaign will fire on June 22nd and the next recurrence will be on Sept 22nd and the following one on Dec 22nd.
- Monthly Campaign
Depending on the scheduling options the buttons on the top right automatically have the right options to either save as draft and close it so you can come back to editing the campaign later or schedule it or send it Immediately
- When the segment criteria on an ongoing campaign is edited, do emails get sent again?
No, the emails are sent only to people who qualify for the new criteria, who did not already receive the email.
- If a user enters the segment of the ongoing campaign again, is the email sent again?
No, an ongoing campaign is sent to a user only once no matter how many times the user exits and enters the segment criteria.
- If a user exits and enters the segment of a recurring campaign again before it is scheduled to be sent, will the email be sent?
Emails from a recurring campaign are only sent when they are scheduled to be sent. In this case, since the user enters the segment before it is scheduled to be sent, the email will not be sent immediately. Eventually, if the user continues to stay in the segment when the campaign is scheduled to be sent, then the email will be sent to the user at that point.
- What if I have a frequency cap setting and I am sending ongoing or recurring campaigns?
For ongoing campaigns, when a user meets the campaign criteria but also exceeds the frequency cap, the campaign will not be sent. For recurring campaigns, if the user meets the criteria but exceeds the frequency cap, the campaign will be sent.
- If a receiver of my campaign clicks 'reply', who will that reply go to?
The reply will go to the email of the person that you set as the 'Sender' of the campaign - or the fall back in cases with the 'Sender' role does not exist.
- Why is the sender of my campaign coming out with quotations around it?
If the sender has a title that is separated by a comma (example: Jane Doe, Executive Director), the sender will be shown in quotations (example "Jane Doe, Executive Director"). If you prefer not to have the quotations, then simple remove the comma between the name and title.
- When trying to add a Youtube link, I get an error, why?
The Youtube link can be copied from the address bar or by clicking on Share > Embed and then copy the link from it. We support adding a link in the following format: