Who can use this feature?
Tags identify an account or user with a custom label. You can automatically apply or remove tags individually, using segment triggers, or in bulk.
Apply or remove tags individually
- Open an account profile or user profile.
- Click to edit tags:
- User tags: Expand the related account, and click the Tag icon at the top of the user attributes.
- Account tags: Click the Tag icon from the Tags widget.
- Start typing to choose an existing tag, or press enter to create a new tag. Or click the x on a tag to remove it.
- Click Save.
There are no limits to the number of tags you create. You can remove tag assignments, but you cannot edit or delete tags.
Apply or remove tags using a segment trigger
Segment triggers can automatically apply/remove tags on entry (meets the criteria) or on exit (no longer meets the criteria). You can create tags based on any account or user segment using list triggers as outlined below.
A new tag must be applied to at least one record before a segment trigger will take effect.
- Create a new user or account segment (or open an existing segment).
As a best practice, you should apply tags in bulk to the matching records before adding automation, also known as baselining. See below for more information.
- At the top of the segment, click Show Triggers.
- From the Triggers pane, click Add now.
- In the Triggers window, make your selections for On Entry and On Exit. Start typing to select an existing tag.
For example, if you have a user segment with filter criteria: "Last activity was more than 30 days ago," add an inactive-user tag when a user enters the segment. Remove the inactive-user tag when the user leaves the segment.
If you create a new tag from this window, you must manually apply the tag to at least one user or account before the trigger takes effect.
- Click Save to confirm.
We recommend you save all segments with automatic triggers under an "Automation" folder.
- When creating an automated tag be sure to baseline tags to ensure they are properly applied to any accounts or users who were part of the segment prior to applying triggers.
- Please allow up to 10 minutes for tags to fully apply on your account/user base
- You can create "sticky tags" that remain on the account/user even after the condition no longer applies. For example you can tag a user when they first particular feature in your app, without removing it. To do that, simply do not add the "On Exit" trigger condition.
Apply or remove tags in bulk
Bulk tag assignment requires advanced permissions.
- Open a segment or create a new one.
- Select all records in the segment using the check box next to the Name column.
- Click Add Tags.
- In the Add Tags drop-down, start typing to select a tag, or keep typing and press enter to create a new tag.
- Click Add Tags to apply the tag to the selected records.