Note - The Segments experience has been updated! Please take a look here.
Totango Segments are the way to filter, analyze and act upon your customers and users. Segments form the base of other key features in Totango such as SuccessPlays and Campaigns. Segments let you quickly analyze your customers data and create lists of customers with different characteristics.
- Create user or account segment
- Filter on any attribute or custom metric
- Add one or more columns to the Segment
- Define triggers to assign tags or send emails when new accounts get added or removed from the Segment
- Quickly use the same criteria to create a campaign or a SuccessPlay using the 'Create Campaign' and 'Create SuccessPlay' option
Where To Find Segments?
Segments can be found in the Segments tab of any SuccessBLOC.
For quick access use the application search drop-down
Create a new segment using the "Create" button in Tools > Segments
You can create an account segment or a user segment. The feature elements described below reflects the capabilities of each segment (account or user).
You can filter your accounts / users in order to create your segment
- Segment Preview
This section let you understand your accounts segment essence: number of accounts, sum of contract value and their health distribution
Or number of users, number of accounts and sum of contract value in a user segment:
- Filters and Triggers summary
Preview the segment filters and triggers
Please note, you need to pause the triggers in order to edit the segment.
- All Accounts / My Accounts
You can quickly filter any segment on the accounts you own.
For segments aimed towards CSMs and sales managers, we recommend to save the segment filtered on "My Accounts"- it will open the segment sliced on the user own accounts.
- Search for accounts and users
In order to search accounts just start typing in the search bar.
Note, in a user segment you will be able to search users instead of accounts.
Group your segment by any attribute to analyze a group of accounts.
Select the attribute from the "group by" drop-down
You can use column sorting to sort the grouping, and also switch to see only your accounts (with "my accounts" toggle).
You can also click on the health distribution data to view the accounts.
You can save the segment in grouping view.
In order to remove the grouping, and change the view to a list of accounts - delete the group by attribute.
Note, grouping is available for text attributes only.
- Column selector
Select your desired columns by clicking the plus button located at the right side of the table
The selected columns are on the right, and you can drag & drop from the column bank on the left (clicking on the column name works as well).
Reorder the columns on the right side by drag & drop a column.
The column bank is grouped to sections, we encourage you to use the search in order to find columns, the search finds columns even within activities, attributes and modules - so you can search an activity name right from the search bar.
Remove a column by using the "x" button located at the right side.
Once you done selecting your columns, click on "apply" or "cancel" buttons
- Table sorting
Click on each header to sort the column, clicking it again will reverse the sorting.
- Add and remove tags
You can add or remove tags to bulk of accounts in the segment table.
Select the accounts by clicking the check-boxes, choose if to add or to remove tags, and select the tags (one or more).
- Follow a list
Click on the "eye" button to follow or unfollow a segment.
Following a list will send a daily snapshot of your segment to your email.
- Create a SuccessPlay
We encourage you to monitor and push your accounts forward.
Creating an automated SuccessPlay will increase your productivity and you will be able to response to any account indication.
Note, the filters definitions, name and description will be pulled from the segment and will be used as a starting point for your SuccessPlay.
- Create a Campaign
Respond and drive your users to adopt your application by creating an automated campaigns right from the segment definition.
Note, the filters definitions, name and description will be pulled from the segment and will be used as a starting point for your Campaign.
- Segment settings
- You can save your segment, add a description, and locate it in the right folder (and even create a new folder).
- Add triggers to tag the segment accounts, and create an email notification for each account which enter or exits the segment.
- You can also share your segment with others, or keep it private.
Note, in a user segment you will be able to tag users, but not create an email alert.
- More actions:
Download as a CSV - Totango will prepare the segment data for you, and once it is ready you will get the download link in an email.
Generate API endpoint - the easiest way to use Totango's search API starts by generating this endpoint, read all about it in the Search API article.
Duplicate and delete a segment - let you control and organize your segments.
- Bulk Editing of attributes in a Segment
- A segment allows the user to make bulk edits to multiple attributes of the account
- The following actions are supported as part of bulk actions
- Add tags - Add one or more tags to multiple accounts
- Remove tags - Remove one or more tags
- Edit Attributes - Choose one of the attributes to change values
- Clear Attributes - Choose one of the attributes to clear values
Question: I want to use a current segment as a base to create another one, and I cannot find a "save as" option. How can I do that?
Answer: Enter the current segment and duplicate it (use the "more actions" button), now change the segment as you like and save it.
- You cannot view which account / user is online