Organizations and team leads interact with customers in many ways and using many different systems. Customer data and interactions need to be recorded accurately and efficiently in these systems. While email is the primary tool for customer interaction, it is important to capture this communication in other systems like Totango & CRM software.
CS teams and executives benefit from being able to record customer emails as a touchpoint directly from their email client without the need to switch between screens. The touchpoint is viewable on the account timeline within Totango.
- Record a meeting summary or touchpoint by simply sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Recording email interaction via cc/bcc email@example.com
- Recording customer email via forwarding to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Touchpoint Synchronization with Salesforce: With our integration, you can sync the touchpoint activity into Salesforce
- Save time by reducing the need to move from screen to screen
- Record customer activity once and sync across your systems - no need to enter data twice!
There's 3 ways to utilize the Email-to-Touchpoint.
1. When you need to log a customer interaction, you can simply type your notes in an email and include the email address of the customer in the subject line. Send to email@example.com and your notes will be recorded as a touchpoint on the Account Timeline.
2. If you want to log an important customer email (e.g. customer feedback) you can forward the message to firstname.lastname@example.org and the message will be recorded as a touchpoint on the Account Timeline.
3. If an email you're sending to a customer needs to be logged as a touchpoint, you can bcc: touchpoints@totango and the message will be recorded as a touchpoint on the Account Timeline.
In both 2 and 3 the touchpoint participants are parsed from the email content and added to the touchpoint. The domain from the email address of the person forwarding the email is treated as an internal participant and all other emails addresses with a different domain are treated as external (customer) participants.
The touchpoint type is set to Email.
In the event that the touchpoint was not able to be logged because Totango could not identify the account or participants, you will receive an email letting you know and the reason it was not logged.
Note if the user chooses to edit this touchpoint in Totango, the system gives the user the option to notify new participants or all existing participants if new participants are added or content of the touchpoint has changed.
Troubleshooting Error Messages
Here are 2 error messages that you may receive and how to fix them.
1) Email is associated with more than 1 account
In the event that more than 1 account have the same contacts (customer participants) the system determines the account to log the touchpoint in this order
- Find the account between the ones identified that have a logged touchpoint from the same internal participant in the past 1 week. If found the touchpoint is logged against that account
- If 1 does not yield a result the system tries to find the account that has any touchpoint logged in the past 1 week. If found the system logs the touchpoint against that account
If both of these steps don't yield a result in breaking the tie between accounts with similar contacts, an error message email is sent back to the user.
Resolution: Make sure the external participant / contact's email address is only associated to one account in Totango and resend OR log touchpoint manually within Totango.
2) Email address is not associated with any account
Resolution: Make sure the user's email address matches the email address in Totango exactly and resend OR log touchpoint manually within Totango.
- You MUST have the exact email address of the customer (as it appears in Totango) in the "To:", "Cc:", "Subject" line or email text.
- Unless you use user email as the user ID (which is case insensitive) OR all user emails in Totango are in all lower case - the email casing in the outbound email must match exactly as what is in Totango.
- The customer email address must belong to a user that Totango has tracked at least once.
- The sender of the email must be a user with a Totango login.
- This feature will only record the most recent reply in the thread, anything below the first detected signature will not be included.
- Emails sent must be properly encoded as UTF-8 otherwise some characters might not appear right in the Account timeline.
- Touchpoint will not be recorded for an email that has + extension.
Question: How can I change the SuccessFlow that email touchpoints are logged under?
Answer: Touchpoints created via Email-to-Touchpoints are automatically logged under your instance's default SuccessFlow.
Question: Why is my touchpoint not saving and I have not received an error message?
Answer: If your email was empty, it will not log a touchpoint.
Question: I am getting an error message that the email is associated to more than one account, but I only see it associated to one account.
Answer: If you keep contacts at multiple levels of your account hierarchy (parent and child for example), this will be counted as multiple accounts and the touchpoint will not be logged.
Question: What if I am sending the email to the customer and BCC'ing email@example.com, but I am not the account owner. Will the touchpoint still be logged?
Answer: Yes, as long as you are a Totango User.