SuccessPlays are automatically triggered set of tasks that an organization can configure in order to improve team workflows so that CSMs are focused on the meaningful activities at the right time.
Organizations and team leads can operationalize their business processes by defining within Totango and implementing consistent CS activities across their team so that fewer accounts slip through the cracks.
Companies lose customers for many different reasons throughout the customer lifecycle. Often times a company can intervene and reduce losing a customer if the appropriate action is taken. These intervention efforts and business processes are typically defined within a customer success organization, however, without a system in place they are impossible to enforce.
Totango SuccessPlays will give organizations the ability to standardize the workflow and achieve consistent and effective delivery of services in order to both increase the scale of a team, as well as reduce churn.
- Automatically assign tasks to team members. When accounts fit a pre-defined criteria, a set of tasks can be triggered and assigned to the right team members. Multiple tasks can be created within a SuccessPlay and have different due dates and owners.
- Use Totango provided best practices immediately. Totango has provided a few that we feel are best practices in Customer Success that you can begin with and edit in order to cater to your business needs.
- Periodic Account Reviews -- More than 90 days since last Quarterly Business Review.
- Post-Onboarding Training -- CS executive to reach out to sponsor 30 days after onboarding is complete.
- Upsell Opportunity -- Identify accounts with high usage and license utilization in order to upsell.
- Kick-Off Renewal Plan -- Identify any roadblocks or growth opportunities to present to the customer and secure the contract renewal.
- Get started immediately by leveraging Totango recommended CS best practices with pre-built SuccessPlays available out of the box.
- Helps CSMs prioritize and focus attention on the right customers at the right time.
- Allows companies to scale their customer success teams quickly.
- Standardize adoption of business process across the CS organization.
- You should be a Owner or a Collaborator of a SuccessBloc or a Global Admin in order to create a SuccessPlay
- Go to any SuccessBLOC and click on SuccessPlays tab or go to Tools > SuccessPlays.
- Totango has provided some Recommended SuccessPlays that you should consider implementing as best practices.
Select Triggers for the SuccessPlay using Segment Criteria
Using the Segment Criteria, you can define when should the tasks be triggered. The tasks gets created when an accounts enters or exits the segment.
- You can select the criteria for an existing segment within your SuccessBLOC or define a new criteria. When you use an existing segment, only the criteria from the segment is copied to the SuccessPlay and the Segment and SuccessPlay are not connected in any way.
- Watch Segment Summary Information such as health and contract value update in real-time as you add criteria.
- You can also edit the segment criteria by clicking on the 'Edit' near the segment criteria on the right preview panel.
Triggering tasks on Parent accounts in hierarchy
When creating a SuccessPlay, you can configure the SuccessPlay to assign a task on the parent of the account that meets the segment criteria. This feature is particularly useful if a CSM is assigned to the parent account and SuccessPlay is based on segmentation criteria around usage and engagement. You can create one on the parent for all child accounts or create one task for every child account that matches the criteria.
In this step you can define the set of tasks that will be triggered on the selected account
- You can create multiple tasks for different team members when the SuccessPlay gets triggered.
- Dynamic task assignment - Task assignment can be set at the role (e.g. Success Manager) so that you can create a single SuccessPlay that would run for the entire team. If the selected role is not assigned to the account, then the task will be assigned to the creator of the SuccessPlay.
You can also assign different tasks to different team members so that you can escalate accounts to multiple people.
- You can create multiple tasks within a SuccessPlay and define the # of days in which the tasks should be due after initial creation. This will allow you to create tasks in an order for the team and they can focus on tasks that are due now vs later.
- You can add links or attach assets to a SuccessPlay to provide resources like templates and documents to your team.
- You can also retroactively create tasks for accounts already in the segment you've defined and not just new accounts that enter the segment by checking the "For tasks created on entry, create tasks for accounts currently in the segment across all teams" option.
Review your SuccessPlay before you activate
If you Enable your SuccessPlays that will retroactively create tasks for accounts already in the segment, you will receive a warning. Please be sure that the SuccessPlay has been properly defined as we do not currently support batch editing/deleting of tasks.
- When a SuccessPlay segment criteria is edited, do tasks get created again for the accounts that were in the segment originally?
No, tasks will be created for only those accounts that get added newly to the segment due to the criteria change.
- When a task in a SuccessPlay is edited, do existing tasks get updated?
No, only the new tasks that get created going forward get updated.
- If an account exits and enters the segment of a SuccessPlay again, do tasks get created again?
Only if the previously created task is completed, a task is recreated on the account if it meets the segment criteria again.
- If exiting segment criteria was use for SuccessPlay, will the SuccessPlay be impacted when segment is changed?
When you use an existing segment criteria for SuccessPlays, it only copies the criteria from the segment and does not tie the SuccessPlay to the Segment. So the SuccessPlay will not be impacted when you update the segment.