Who can use this feature?
- Global admins or users with advanced permissions
- Available on all plans
Custom metrics are calculated fields based on account attributes. Custom metrics apply to the account object only and are not calculated for accounts in "Canceled" status. Custom metrics save a historical record of changes once created.
Custom metrics are a tool to help you demonstrate business results to your customers after using your products, such as increase in revenue, improved productivity, or higher quality of service.
- Active user price = Contract value / Active users in last 30 days
- Agent productivity = # of Tickets Closed / # of Agents
- Individual module usage = Total activities per user per day in Analytics module
- Combined module usage = Sum of total activities in Module 1, Module 2, Module 3 over the last 7 days.
Use custom metrics in health profiles (e.g., Combined module usage <1 = poor, >10 = good).
Create a custom metric
Build calculations using mathematical operators applied to any of the following (account level):
- Numerical attributes
- Engagement metrics
- Usage metrics
- Numerical input
- From Settings, expand Data Management > Data Modeler.
- From the Account Information tab, click +Add Account Attribute.
- Click Custom Metric.
- Configure properties for the attribute:
- Name: The name of the metric.
- Display type: Choose from Currency, String, Integer, Decimal, Percent.
- Dimension: Choose the dimension for categorization purposes.
- Other: Choose editability, privileged, and hidden.
- Click on an item on the left to add it to the formula editor. Depending on the item chosen, set additional parameters for the metric.
- Add operators +, -, *, /, (, ) to the formula editor.
Example: Contract value / active users in the last 30 days.
- Click Preview.
- Review the sample list of accounts to see what the custom metric will show. You can also search for a specific account if the sample list doesn't contain values for the items chosen in the metric. As an example, this contract is $80K but only has 1 active user in the last 30 days. (Yikes!)
- Click Go Back to keep making adjustments, or click Save.
Once saved, the metric is now fully defined and Totango starts calculating its values. You can use this metric in health configuration, hierarchy roll-ups, segments, reports, rapid insight forms, SuccessPlays, and account profiles.
Display and segmentation options include value or % change (yesterday, in the last 3, 7, 14, 30, 90 days).
The data processing queue in the upper-right corner of Data Modeler provides status updates on the calculation.
Edit a custom metric
You can edit the metric properties or formula anytime. The metric will recalculate from the point you save the metric and going forward.
Consume custom metrics
Your teams can use custom metrics throughout Totango and in Zoe.
- Health profiles
- Account profile header
- Segment filters and columns
- Report breakdowns
See more for using change filters in segments.
Question: I have an account that does not get a custom metric calculated, even though all the attributes have values.
Answer: Ensure the contract status of the account is not in a Canceled status. Health and metrics are not calculated for Canceled accounts.